Friday, March 28, 2008

New Scale, New Goals, Review

I'd like to start with a bit of review. I got my computer display and mouse working properly again yesterday. Yay!

Our old scale only went up to 300 lbs. Then it started around the circle again. The kids had played with the needle a lot, and we didn't really think it was too accurate. It was often showing me at 30 lbs or so less than the scale at any doctor's office.

My wife thought that a scale that was more accurate was in order to help us really know what kind of progress we're making. We just got a Weight Watchers digital scale with battery powered memory for up to 4 users and a goal tracking feature. The only thing I know how to do on it so far is find out how much I weigh.

This scale is accurate up to 375 lbs it claims, and it looks like I needed it to be there. I would hope that the difference between this scale and the doctor's scale will only be 3 to 5 lbs going forward.

A bit more review - going from thinking I was 335 lbs to thinking I am 363 lbs is not fun.

The new information from the new scale means it's time for new goals. I'll take my old goals from the earlier post and edit here for the new information.

Goals: I want to be down at least 20 pounds by my oldest son's birthday in August. It appears I am well on my way to that, so I might increase it to 10% of my starting body weight, or 38.2 pounds, if things continue to go quickly. I want to be below 300 lbs (Yikes! That's 82 lbs in about 41 weeks! I hope I can average 2 lbs lost per week. It sounds reasonable.) by the new year. I want to get down to at least 250 lbs before I think about trying to maintain rather than lose, and I think a range of anywhere from 190 to 220 lbs would be pretty good for me going forward.

Hey, I know! Let's review some more! It's been 3 weeks since the doctor's visit. I've lost about 18 lbs, some of which must be fat. I don't seem to have lost much this week, which I think means that I'm down to the part where I actually can tell by how my clothes fit when I lose weight. This means that I need to see if I can average 2 lbs of weight loss per week now.

No comments: