Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Details, Goals, and Diet

I'm realizing (okay, I spoke with someone on the phone who told me) that I haven't provided much detail about what kind of workouts I do. I also haven't posted about my goals or diet. Here we go.

Details: We own an elliptical machine, built by Nordic Track. We used some of the money from the sale of our last house to get a relatively high end one, mostly because we had to in order to safely support my weight. I've used it off and on in the ensuing two years, but my current workouts consist of using one of the various programs that it offers or creating my own.

I don't think working out in a gym would work for me on a regular basis. It's hard enough to get up and workout in the underwear I was going to change anyway. I can't imagine myself packing a bag and driving somewhere only to go and change and workout and shower and change and pack up and drive back home.

Goals: I want to be down at least 20 pounds by my oldest son's birthday in August. It appears I am well on my way to that, so I might increase it to 10% of my starting body weight, or 35 pounds, if things continue to go quickly. I want to be below 300 lbs by the new year. I want to get down to at least 250 lbs before I think about trying to maintain rather than lose, and I think a range of anywhere from 190 to 220 lbs would be pretty good for me going forward.

Diet: I haven't done very much with this since the doctor's visit. I've been making good changes this year though, mostly due to my wife's improved energy after her latest surgery. She has been so kind and thoughtful in making healthy meals that are filling so that I won't stop and buy fast food on the way to work or to feed the family dinner. I'm enjoying the berry smoothies that she makes (I don't eat berries on my own - I should change that). I'm trying to eat the apple slices and other fruit options she provides. I'm glad that she makes such wonderful foods with so many vegetables (you should try her homemade pizza! Who knew that zucchini, onions, spinach, mushrooms, sometimes olives and summer squash would make such darn good toppings?! The kids won't eat pizza from any of the stores with anything but cheese or pepperoni, but they'll devour hers!).

In general, I have an appetite suppressant for the next month or so, but I don't need it right now because working out is making me not hungry (not the normal, I'm full kind of not hungry - the I'm too tired to eat kind of not hungry).

Let me know if you have further questions. :)

1 comment:

Phyllisa said...

I honestly don't think working out in a gym would work out either...yet. It may work better when you have more energy and it's a habit to work out. I think some weights would be good to add eventually. One step at a time though. :)