Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter

As part of our mini vacation, we did an easter egg hunt with some friends. The kids of course loved searching for the eggs, although some were not quick enough to grab the obvious ones before someone else did. They loved the candy hidden inside, and they loved running around.

I was a little turned off toward the whole thing at first, until I found a way to associate the egg hunt with the blessings of Christ. Christ has put many blessings in our lives, and many of them are obvious. Some, like having a world to live on and air to breathe, we don't even have to do anything to benefit from. Some, like the blessings that come from keeping the commandments, come from the small amount of labor it takes to bend over and pick up the egg, although there are those who don't know the commandments who don't see these eggs all the time. Some require diligent searching and effort, similar to fasting and prayer.

The nice thing about the Lord's blessings is that they are limitless and easily shared. Anyone can pick up the same blessing I get by doing the same thing I did to receive it.

On a related note, I certainly felt a special closeness with my wife and children yesterday. They are marvelous blessings to me, and I would be lost without them.

No comments: