Monday, April 14, 2008

New Floor, New Appreciation

Our friends came Friday night. That night, the husband climbed up onto our roof to disconnect an unused dish left by the former homeowners that just banged against the house in the wind. Saturday, from a little before 9:00 AM until just after 1:00 AM with a few breaks for meals, he did the majority of the work to lay most of our laminate floor in the kitchen, closet, hallways, and bathroom. On Sunday, he again did the majority of the work to finish the flooring, and this morning, he finished putting our bathroom back together after we weren't able to get new toilet anchors yesterday. His youngest son, about 4 months old, has a doctor's appointment at Primary Children's Hospital today for cleft palate, and then they'll drive the 4 hours back to their home in Idaho. The only payment I gave him was meals, and my wife may have given them some money for gas.

There is great value in handyman skills. I have learned this over and over, but I am not the type of person who will ever really master those skills. I am grateful to know people who have them, and I'm grateful for their willingness to give so freely. I hope that I can be as free with the skills that I do have to those who are in need of them. I try to do the best I can when the opportunity presents itself.

Even though I mostly played "go-fer" while he did the work, I certainly wore myself out. There was no way I was going to work out this morning after the weekend we had. I'm just trying to stay awake! I was grateful for the improved physical condition I have compared to a month ago, though. If I had tried to do this in that condition, I don't know that I would be able to stay awake right now.

No comments: