Friday, February 13, 2009

Children's Sleeping Habits

I intended to work out this morning, but due to what I'll explain next, I didn't. I weighed 349.0 lbs this morning, though.

Why is it that when my kids need to have the alarm set for 7:00 AM to get up in time for school, they can't seem to drag themselves out of bed for 15 to 30 minutes after, and yet, when they don't have to get up for school and the alarm is not set, like this morning, they are all awake and raring to go by 6:30?

This is not an unusual occurrence, either. It is very common for my children to fight to get up when they "have" to, and to be out of bed in a flash when they could be sleeping in. I don't know why that is, but I wonder if I'll miss it when they are teenagers and won't be out of bed before noon if they can help it!

Today's early risers were especially problematic for me because I wanted to let my wife get as much sleep as she could. She's not feeling very good. Since the kids were up, I decided to just shower and get ready for the day rather than work out, but while I was showering, they turned on the TV. My wife had to get up and stop them from watching TV because they don't do their chores if they start the day by watching TV. The whole day goes badly when they start it that way. By the time I was done showering, my wife was awake and downstairs with the kids, and I didn't get to let her rest at all. In fact, she was up earlier than she normally is on a school day.

I did manage to help the kids with their breakfast, and I tried to encourage them to do their chores quickly and cheerfully today. I don't have high hopes for that helping very much though.

No comments: